Navigating the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles

June 20, 2024

Welcome to our blog and news page. You will find articles, informational notices, and a video here. Still looking for some help? Contact us and tell us what you need!


Colorado DMV Fleet Services

While a trip to the Department of Motor Vehicles may not be the most thrilling outing, knowing that you have alternatives is crucial. The convenience of using a service like Corp1 can’t be overstated for many commercial, business, or fleet DMV services. Utilizing a service that eliminates the need to visit a state or county DMV office is a time-saver.

Fleet Registration Services

Our fleet registration services are designed to cater to the diverse needs of our commercial and business clients. Whether you have passenger cars, light trucks, GVW trucks, GVW tractors, trailers, motor homes, SMM, motorcycles, farm trucks, or recreational trucks, we’ve got you covered. The license plates appear slightly different and will not have month or year tabs. The registration will indicate PERM as the expiration date but must be renewed annually.

Requirements: Permanent Fleet registration enables the owner of 10 or more vehicles to establish a common expiration month. All vehicles in the fleet MUST be in the SAME OWNER’S NAME.

Colorado State Vs. County DMV Offices

In Colorado, the authority to handle commercial or fleet vehicle registration transactions is held by the counties. This means services like registration renewals and tag replacement are managed at the county motor vehicle offices. These offices, operating independently under their elected county clerks and recorders, also determine their hours of operation and local taxes and fees. This is why the costs for services can differ from county to county, and it’s important to be aware of these differences when planning your visit.

Counties handle most title and registration transactions for commercial and business vehicles. Unless you use DMV online services or an MV Express Kiosk, you must visit your county motor vehicle office for vehicle services. Other counties’ motor vehicle offices will not be able to provide services. Additionally, the state driver’s license offices and the state DMV Vehicle Services office cannot provide these services.

Can Corp1 assist with county DMV services?

At Corp1, we are more than happy to provide the necessary resources and links to assist our commercial, fleet, or business clients in preparing and providing the required information and forms for a smooth transaction. We understand that many Colorado DMV offices require appointments and have lengthy wait times, and we are here to take that task off your plate, ensuring a hassle-free experience for you.

  • Colorado County DMV service is limited to Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer, and Weld.
  • Any individual holding a Colorado driver’s license can obtain plain or certified driving records (Commercial, full driver, or 7-year driver).

Although individual County DMV requirements may differ, Corp1 continuously updates county information and requirements regarding changes as bills are passed and become effective. Have you got a question? Reach out!

Is a newly purchased vehicle subject to vehicle registration late fees?

Yes, a newly purchased or transferred vehicle is subject to late fees 61 days after the date of purchase or transfer if it is not registered. These fees can amount to $25 per month ($10 for trailers), with a maximum cap of $100. It’s important to note that certain circumstances, such as Acts of God, weather-related delays, office closures and furloughs, medical hardships, information technology failures, military deployment, farm vehicles, and stolen vehicles, are exempt from these fees.

Can plates be transferred to a new vehicle?

Unfortunately, as a rule, you cannot transfer license plates to a new vehicle. However, there are two exceptions to this. First, if your current license plates are personalized, you can transfer them to your new vehicle. Second, if your new vehicle is registered with horseless carriage plates, you can also transfer your current plates.

What are the insurance requirements?

The Companies must have Colorado Insurance or meet Colorado’s minimum standards.

According to the Colorado General Assembly,

Automobile owners in Colorado are required to carry liability insurance.  Liability insurance covers bodily injury to another person or property damage to another’s vehicle or property when the insured is at fault for an accident.  The state requires the following minimum coverages, although higher coverages may be purchased:

$25,000 for bodily injury or death to any one person in an accident.

$50,000 for bodily injury or death to all persons in any one accident and

$15,000 for property damage in any one accident.

Self‑insurance.  Any individual with over 25 vehicles registered to his or her name may qualify as a self‑insurer by applying for a certificate of self‑insurance from the state Insurance Commissioner.  The Insurance Commissioner must ensure that the individual can pay the minimum coverage required by the state.  For more information on self‑insurance, contact the state’s Division of Insurance within the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA).

NOTE: Please get in touch with your commercial insurance carrier for assistance and assurance that all coverage requirements are met.

Which Title and Registration transactions require Secure and Verifiable ID?

Secure and Verifiable ID is required to obtain:

  • New Titles
  • Duplicate Titles (original title issued on or after 07/01/2006)
  • New Registrations
  • New Temporary Registration Permits
  • New Placards

The following types of identification are Secure and Verifiable:

  • Any Colorado Driver License, Colorado Driver Permit or Colorado Identification Card, current or expired one year or less. (Valid temporary paper license with invalid Colorado Driver’s License, Colorado Driver’s Permit, or Colorado Identification Card, expired one year or less is acceptable – includes documents issued under C O-R C S A S B 1 3-2 5 1)
  • Out-of-state issued photo driver’s license or photo identification card, photo driver’s permit current or expired one year or less.
  • Photo driver’s license, photo identification card, or photo driver’s permit from U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands) current or expired one year or less.
  • U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card, current or expired less than ten years.
  • Valid foreign passport with I-9 4 or valid processed for I 5 5 1 stamps. Exception: Canadian Passport may not have I-9 4 attached.
  • Valid I-9 4 issued by U.S. Immigration with L 1 or R 1 status and a valid Canadian driver’s license or valid Canadian identification card.
  • Valid I 5  5 1 Resident Alien/Permanent Resident card. No border crosser or U S A B 1/B 2 Visa/B C C cards.
  • Valid I 6 8 8 Temporary Resident, I 6 8 8 B, and I 7 6 6 Employment Authorization Card with intact photo.
  • Valid U.S. Military I D (active duty, dependent, retired, reserve, and National Guard).
  • Tribal Identification Card with intact photo. (U.S. or Canadian)
  • Certificate of Naturalization with intact photo.
  • Certificate of (U.S.) Citizenship with intact photo.

How do I know what county to register my vehicle in?

The vehicle would be registered in the county where the individual or business’s physical residence or principal office address is located.

Can I surrender my old license plates?

Yes! Old plates must be surrendered but are not required for the buyer or new owner at the time of registration. The seller or old owner is responsible for surrendering the old plates to the DMV.

Does Corp1 provide large transactions for lenders or banks to change owners or transfer titles?

YES, we can handle large transactions, but many counties require the paperwork to be dropped off for processing depending on the county and total transactions. Fees must be provided via check or directly to Corp1 before processing. Registration fees are not something Corp1 will front on behalf of the client. All the counties we currently cover can take check or card payments (NOTE: if payment is made with a credit card, a technology fee is added to the total fee).

Corp1 is your DMV services solution!

Corp1 can assist you with checking title status, estimating registration fees, obtaining transaction receipts for previously processed title work, and permanently or temporarily registering commercial and business vehicles. In this capacity, we can serve as a courier and/or agent for these transactions and help ensure all necessary forms and procedures, including county-specific requirements, are met and efficiently handled. Our team reviews all title work received for any reasons for rejection, preventing unnecessary time delay and rejection at the county DMV.

We hope this helps. We are here to answer any questions and provide DMV services. Contact us, and let’s talk about how we can make your life easier!

Fleet registration services


Colorado General Assembly