How to Get an Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Every entity is assigned a number as identification for tax filing purposes with the Internal Revenue Service, called the Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number. The EIN is required to open a bank account, file tax returns, or when a business hires employees. You must incorporate your company before obtaining the EIN. Make sure the name is secured before filing for the EIN or you risk having to repeat your application.

The fastest and easiest method of obtaining an EIN is to file online at In order to obtain the EIN, you will need to complete the SS4 Form, "Application of Employer Identification Number (SS4)", using the link above. This link will provide you with all the details. Corp1 can assist you in this process should you require assistance.

You can also apply for the EIN by phone and in many cases the IRS will issue the number for you and give it to you over the phone. Complete the SS4 form and call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-4933, or, if outside the U.S., 215-516-6999. You may need to explain your reason for wanting it right away, such as the need to open a bank account. Tell them that you have the completed SS-4 form in front of you. That is usually all it takes. They will only give you the number if you are an officer of the company. It is a good idea to download and print out the SS4 form so that you have it in front of you.

If obtaining the EIN is not urgent, you can also mail the SS4 Form to the Internal Revenue Service.

Call or email Corp1 for additional information or to place your order.

Want to know more?
Contact us and we'll help you ASAP!

Contact now